Tuesday, December 8

Bite Me

I know, I know...these days everyone loves vampires, but my obsession started years ago when someone left a copy of Anne Rice's Tale of the Body Thief at my grandparents' beach house when I was 13 or 14. After reading it cover to cover in a matter of a few days, I continued reading the Interview With a Vampire series and pretty much any other vampire related novel I could get my hands on. I then went on to write about those of the fanged persuasion for most of my high school Creative Writing class assignments. I need to dig up some of those stories...

(Photo of me as the Vampire Claudia on Halloween a couple years ago.)

Fast forward more years than I would like to admit and it seems that now everyone is all about vampires, particularly Twilight. I have read the series and can understand the appeal, but that incarnation of vampires is a little too romanticized for my taste. I just don't file Twilight under "vampire" in my mind.

Then, there is True Blood. I am obsessed with both the series on HBO and also the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris, which the show is based on. (I actually just finished the latest book in the series, Dead and Gone, last night.) The plots on the TV series have related back to the earlier novels in many ways and there are some storylines in the later novels that I hope they explore more in the show. I won't give away any secrets, but I will say I was a Bill fan until I read the books, now I'm "Team Eric".

I am not afraid to admit, I love vampires.

No comments:

Post a Comment