Thursday, February 24

Surf City Half

Last year when I started running, I really didn't think a half marathon was in my near future. Well, I was wrong. After signing up and dropping out of a half marathon in LA back in October due to being sick, a friend mentioned that she was going to run the Surf City Half Marathon in Huntington Beach on Super Bowl Sunday. I decided to sign up, especially once I found out my company would reimburse me for half of the fee. 

 7am, starting line.

While I didn't get as much training in as I would have liked and I unfortunately got the flu a week and a half prior to the race, I was determined to cross that finish line. And sure enough, I did. My time wasn't great (about 3 hours, 30 minutes), as I ended up having to walk the entirety of the last 4 or 5 miles due to issues with my knee (which I now know is ilotibial band syndrome), but I was able to cross the finish line and accomplished my first half marathon.

I have since bought a band that will hopefully help alleviate my ITBS and am thinking about signing up for another half. It's a lot more fun than I ever thought it would be.

Exhausted, but accomplished. With swollen hands and my cool finisher's medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment