Wednesday, June 23

The Life Aquatic with Mega Shark

 1 - Arriving at Avalon
2 - Dive Park
3 - That's me in the middle!
4 - kelp
5 - garibaldi
6 - Mega Shark attack!
7 - After dive lunch at Armstrong's
 (underwater photos by S. Dwyer) 

Scuba diving has always been something I wanted to try, so when one of my friends invited me to go over to Catalina to go diving my immediate response was YES! Previously unbeknown to me, there are places that will do introductory dives for people, like myself, who have no previous experience.

So last Friday, four of us boarded a ferry in Newport Beach and headed over to Avalon. Upon arrival, we stopped at the dive shop, filled out some paper work and got sized up for equipment. Since our dive time wasn't until the early afternoon, we sought out some food (coffee and gooey cinnamon rolls, yum!) and hung out for a bit before heading down to the dive park.

Once we got down to the dive park, we met up with our instructors and started to get suited up. Wetsuit, booties, gloves, hood. Putting on all of that was exhausting in itself. Add a weight belt, vest with more weights in the pockets, an air tank, mask and flippers and I could barely move. But before we got completely decked out in our gear, we got some basic instructions...how to breathe through the regulator, equalize your ears, clear your mask and some basic hand signals that we would be using underwater.

Once we were briefed and ready to go, we made our way down the steps and into the water. We half swam, half floated out to an anchor line and then began to make our descent. Woah, this is weird. I can see everything (the visibility was amazing) and I can breathe underwater?! It was a little trippy at first and took me some time to get used to the idea of it all. After a bit I was able to relax and get into it, but unfortunately my ears did not want to cooperate. Everytime I got to a certain depth, my ears would not equalize (ow!) and since I didn't want to push it, I didn't get to go as deep as I would have liked or swim around too much. I did end up going down 20 feet, which is still pretty amazing, and while I pretty much hung out at the anchor line, I still got to see some great fish, like garibaldi, schooling sardines (or were they anchovies?), kelp bass and of course plenty of kelp.

Overall it was an incredible experience and I definitely want to try it again. And well, as for Mega Shark, either you know or you don't know.

2 comments:

  1. Remember how the garibaldi is the California state fish? I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Upland High School had a scuba class for PE in the swimming pool. Yeah, that's my scuba experience. My grandma was going to pay for Brian and I to take scuba classes after that but didn't realize how much all of the gear costs so we ended up not doing it. One day I'll continue!

    ReplyDelete