Tuesday, May 18

Get in Shape, Girl

At the end of February, I was contemplating getting a gym membership. This was a big debate because since I'm unemployed I'm trying to be more wise with how I spend my money and we do have a small fitness center at our apartment complex that I can use for free.

I haven't had a gym membership since I was 20 and living at home. Up until the point I was laid off, I used the fitness center we had at our office, which was awesome, especially for the 3 years I commuted from Glendale to Anaheim. Working out after work helped me miss traffic and work off the stress of the day. And before that I used the gym at UC Santa Cruz which had an amazing view of the ocean.

So to join 24 Hour Fitness or not was the question. But then I started thinking. I own a bike. I live a mile from the beach. I have a few good workout DVDs. There is a fitness center here that I have free access to. Okay, so maybe I didn't need to pay a grip in gym fees, I can just use what I already have.

After some more thought I decided that maybe I should give running a try. But I hate(d) running. I was the kid that would more or less walk the entire mile during the Presidential Physical Fitness Test in elementary school. I bought Nike+ awhile ago because I would try to run on the treadmill occasionally, but I always got terrible shin splints, so I never worked up to running very far at one time.

So I decided to give the Couch to 5K program a go, again. I had actually started it once a couple years ago, but busted up my foot/ankle so I stopped and never started again. This time I wanted to do it and see it all the way through. Since I already had the Nike+, all I needed to do was to buy some new sneakers and download the C25K app to my iPhone. Much cheaper than an initiation fee and monthly dues. And I can run to/along the beach. Not so bad.

March 1st I started. The first week is 3 days of alternating 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking for 20 minutes (plus 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down walks). This was doable, but definitely a workout at the time. My muscles were strong, but my lungs, not so much.

(I love my Nike LunarGlides! Super light and comfy.)

Fast forward to yesterday and I finally completed the program! (Although 2 weeks late because of being sick.) It's kind of amazing to me that I can run 3 miles straight and not want to die. Actually it's really amazing. And I'm actually starting to enjoy it. Sure, some days still suck and I would rather just walk or do something else, but at least I know I can do it.

What's great too is no more shin splints! Not sure whether it's the new sneakers or the fact that I'm running on pavement and not on a treadmill, but no complaints here. And hey, I also lost 10lbs, which is always nice before bikini season.

So, it may be ambitious, but I'm hoping to work up to 8 miles by the end of the summer, which would mean running to the pier and back. And maybe even run a half marathon at some point...but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I've started a little something lately too but no results except for some improved lung function and less sore muscles. Hopefully I'll have something to show for it by the end of the summer! I have a long way to go ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! And those results still count!!!

    ReplyDelete