Wednesday, May 12

The (un)Happiest Place On Earth

Last Tuesday I had to go to what is quite possibly one of the unhappiest places on Earth. Jury Duty. Yeah, yeah, I know. There are a lot worse places to go on Earth, but I had plans to actually go to the "Happiest Place of Earth", Disneyland, the same day, so I was quite crestfallen when I got called in. 

After arriving at the courthouse (at 8am! I am not a morning person) and checking in, the waiting game began. Wait in the jury room. Wait in the hall upstairs outside the courtroom. Wait in the courtroom. After what seemed like hours, but was more like 90 minutes, I, along with about 17 other people, was called up to the jury box as a prospective juror. More waiting as the judge explained why we were there, etc, etc. After answering some basic questions, (occupation (unemployed), spouse's  occupation (sr. game producer), ever been convicted of a crime (no), ever been on a jury (no)), the DA and defendant's attorney had the opportunity to speak to us and ask their own questions. More waiting as they, along with the judge, went to his chambers to discuss and decide collectively who they wanted to excuse. Then more questions and waiting as new potential jurors were called up. Once they passed the "test", the lawyers had an opportunity to excuse anyone they wanted. without citing a reason. I'm sitting there thinking, "Pick me! Pick me!" 
DA: "Juror x, you are excused."
Defendent's Attorney: "Juror Y, you are excused."
DA: "Juror Z, you are excused."
Wait, that's me! I get to leave?! And it's only noon? I can still go to Disney?! I could still salvage my day. I'm still not sure why I was excused, if she didn't like the answers I provided her with for her hypothetical questions or maybe it was my pink streaked hair and long floral dress that didn't fit her criteria for a potential juror, but either way, I was free.

Fast forward a couple hours to go home, change my clothes, get lunch and drive up to Anaheim, but I made it and met up with S & C (and a special thank you to SP for signing me in!)! Captain Eo (first time seeing it!), Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones, the Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain and Finding Nemo (my first time on that ride, it was fun!) were all waiting for me with open arms. Okay, and some more waiting (in line).

We even ventured over to California Adventure, which was also a first for me. After some persuasion I even got talked into going on the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. Let's be clear here, I HATE rides. And by ride I mean anything that goes upside down, drops from high up or anything that makes me feel like I might die. Tower of Terror is a ride in my book and therefore terrifying to me. I rode it once before at MGM Studios (which is now called Disney's Hollywood Studios apparently. When did that happen?) in Florida with my family shortly after it first opened when I was about 14 or 15. I thought I was going to die at that time, so I'm not quite sure why I went on it again. But alas, I did and I thought I was going to die again. I even bought the photo of us at the top (which I will scan at some point) because I look so ridiculous.

Okay, so obviously I didn't die, but I certainly got my fill of that feeling for the next 10 years. Next time I go to Disney, I will stick to Fantasyland.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I can procrastinate this paper by reading your blog :)

    -lauri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything to help a fellow procrastinator. ;)

    ReplyDelete